Monday, March 8, 2010
Introduction
Hi, My name is Kelbi. I am creating this blog for all of you who are not on Facebook. I am not a writer, quite frankly I think I am bad at it :) However I am going to do this to keep you all up to date on what is going on. Most of you know my step-dad (Willie) was diagnosed with Stage 3 Melanoma in May of 2007, he began treatment immediatley, in May of 2008 he recieved an all clear, but with Melanoma the chance of recurrence is great, so he continued follow up appointments. In January of 2009 he was told it had spread to distant lymphnodes, and possibly under his lung, we had no time we had to find something. He tried one drug-when no signs of regression showed, we began looking for anything that would work-I mean anything. I spent alot of time researching what had shown some possibility of even touching this disease in someone who was at this late stage. He began a two-drug treatment, and still nothing, took 2 rounds of radiation, and nothing was seeming to work. Willie fought a valliant battle, one that he would lose on September 11, 2009. Fast forward, I have never been so passionate about getting rid of something in my life! Alot of people I talk to about say oh my gosh, I didn't know skin cancer could spread (and honestly I didn't know until I worked for a Dermatologist-and it was while I worked there that Willie was diagnosed--I knew immediatley how serious it was. Melanoma is under researched, and is one of the fastest growing Cancers there are! That is why I am currently in the process of planning a 5k run in Springfield on Sept 11, 2010. I will be posting updates as I have them, and will post links to the foundation I am working with, where you will be able to register to participate, create a fundraising page, and help me in this fight to find something to stop this disease! We need your help! Please email me with any questions, ideas, or if you would like to volunteer to help with this event!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment